• Hey there Guest,
    Welcome, and thanks for visiting our community! :)
    Use our forums to connect with other users, talk about your adventures in Terraria, post questions and answers, talk about things you'd like to see in the server/community, etc.

Client crash by warping to BT1

alect

Server Admin
So the title pretty much explains it in a simple way, i've been getting client crashes by warping to bt1 at random times, there doesn't seems to be any reason as to why this happens and there's no pattern to explain how this works.

I've seen some players also crash by warping at bt1. Reported this to bippity around 13 hours ago and he suggested to make this thread for the reason of finding out if anyone else is having this problem, for there may be some hints whose info would lead to a possible fix (hopefully) to this bug.

Thats all i can say from now, i plead to anyone who has witnessed this bug (or a related event) to be contributive and post here whatever information and details you can give about like : Connection stability, any weather events that happened to be present when you crashed, location, PCs capabilities (just in case its client sided),etc...

Thank you for your time reading this, good night/morning/evening/afternoon

Last edited:

alect

Server Admin
You can select the lighting to retro, the parralax to 0 and set Resolution to low. Close other processes you don't use. You can use my project... BServFPS. Press the Lag Detector and your done... Other informations about this app: https://bippityserver.com/xf/threads/bippitys-server-fps-application-and-more-tools.978/

Your problem is: Low space and High Memory Usage on PC Processes...

Been doing that, still crashes for some reason, i have 4gb of RAM (i guess the problem its the massive amount Mac OS X El Capitan uses and unafortunately, i cant manage processes as easily as in Windows). I'll search the crash report

Note : it may be a problem of the Mac OS version

Vaeldious

The Wandering Prophet
Former Staff
/warp bt1 is damaged beyond repair.@Yes instructed me once to "let the world load", but there seems to be no pattern that i can discern as to the root cause of the crash. Doesnt seem to matter if you let tile data load or not, bt1 seems to be tempermental as to crashes. But it happens so often that even new players are aware of the fault. How do we go about fixing this, without explosives?

White

Drop Bear
Staff member
Administrator
I've been unable to make myself crash there, but I would be interested in seeing the crash log if someone could provide one

ILIKEYOU

If Terraria.exe has stopped working... Report the bug to the Terraria Developers. Terraria uses some Anti-Crash Scripts that may be not compatible with your Mac OS Version or idk... Your Terraria is bought or pirated/torrented?

Last edited by a moderator:

alect

Server Admin
Bought it from Steam.

Also here's my crash log, really sorry for the delay

Attachments

• client-crashlog.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 379

ILIKEYOU

Bought it from Steam.

Also here's my crash log, really sorry for the delay

21/08/2016 03:59:42 p.m.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Terraria.Lighting.PreRenderPhase () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Terraria.Lighting.LightTiles

YOUR PROBLEM(S):
Low PC Memory
Microsoft.Xna.Framework work temporary (or don't work).

1. Please verify that you have the XNA Framework installed. You can run xnafx40_redist.msi from your steam folder:
  2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria
  3. or just download it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

OR

1. Follow this steps only if you know a little bit coding.
  2. Just delete the myXControl-dir from gameload.xna inside your Steam>Terraria documents.
  3. should look like the image from step 4
  4. upload_2016-10-4_14-17-0.png
  5. If you use a JOYSTICK as a gamepad do not try this method! Only using keyboard.

Better the first method.

White

Drop Bear
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah.... None of that is the case.

For reference, if an object is 'null' it can be assumed to not exist. It cannot be used.

A System.NullReferenceException occurs when you try to use a property or value of a null object.
In this instance what is happening is somewhere in the PreRenderPhase method, an object that is not expected to be null is null. The program then attempts to use a property of the null object but it cannot because the object is null.
This throws an 'Exception'. Exceptions are thrown when code malfunctions and can be handled to prevent your application crashing. In this case, the exception was unhandled and the program was unable to continue.

Now, whether this is a Terraria bug itself, or as a result of TShock passing bad data to your client I am not sure.
Either way it shouldn't happen - the Terraria client should be robust enough to survive bad data.
Would definitely recommend trying to notify the Terraria developers, though I have no idea if they have a place where you can submit bug reports.

ILIKEYOU

Yeah.... None of that is the case.

*facepalm*

That's not what I meant...
Also bad data passing is impossibile on a while using tshock.sqlite and the connection is on a >9b32tt110 or >8b32tt110 (btt=Bytes time and TLL used for ping.)

See here alect's btt:
upload_2016-10-4_15-30-7.png

Ping statistics for from alect to play.bippityserver.com:
Packets: Sent = 201, Received = 201, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 174ms, Maximum = 295ms, Average = 180ms

Also
A NullReferenceException occurs when you try to use a method or property of a reference type (C# and Visual Basic) whose value is null. For example, you may have tried to use an object without first using the new keyword (New in Visual Basic), or tried to use an object whose value was set to null (Nothing in Visual Basic). *not about Terraria* - vbs

example

C# program that raises NullReferenceException

using System;

class Program
{
static void Main()
{
string value = null;
if (value.Length == 0) // <-- Causes exception (Terraria lighting script and basic functions)
{
Console.WriteLine(value); // <-- Never reached.
}
}
}

C# program that checks for null in method

using System;

class Program
{
static void Main()
{
// Create an array and use it in a method.
int[] array = new int[2];
array[0] = 1;
array[1] = 2;
Test(array);

// Use null reference in a method.
array = null;
Test(array); // <-- Won't crash
}

static void Test(int[] array)
{
if (array == null)
{
// You can throw an exception here, or deal with the argument.
return;
}
int rank = array.Rank;
Console.WriteLine(rank);
}
}

That may be a wrong def but I don't care. >> A low memory can limit the tiles with this error.

Last edited by a moderator:

White

Drop Bear
Staff member
Administrator
A low memory can limit the tiles with this error.
Terraria initializes the value of every single tile in its Main.tile[] array when it starts. Low memory will not cause this error (but may cause a different one if low memory were really the issue).

Also bad data passing is impossibile on a while using tshock.sqlite and the connection is on a >9b32tt110 or >8b32tt110 (btt=Bytes time and TLL used for ping.)
tshock.sqlite is an sqlite database and has no impact whatsoever on ping times or bad tile data that may or may not be sent.

Users who are viewing this thread